Do you use drawing as a way to engage with ideas?
The Sketching In Practice Symposium invites you to submit a proposal for this year’s event, taking place on Fri, October 5, 2018 at the Centre for Digital Media located at 685 Great Northern Way in Vancouver B.C.
Submissions are due August 31, 2018.
Who should apply?
This symposium is cross-disciplinary and we invite proposals from fields such as education, dance, design, visual art, anthropology, imaginary architecture, geography, virtual reality, literature, graphic recording, documentary film making, amongst others.
What are we looking for?
The goal of this event is to explore tools and approaches that use drawing as a way to foster new ways of thinking. Preference will be given to activity based/ interactive workshops proposals where participants are introduced to new ways of working in and understanding the world.
What do we mean by that?
Example topics could include:
- How sketching communicates or conveys information otherwise unobtainable or not understandable.
- How sketching is being redefined by new technologies.
- How sketching can be a facilitator of deep discussions.
- How sketching in disciplines and practices has challenged or changed the ‘standard approach’ or ‘typical knowledge generation’ in a meaningful way.
- How sketching has crossed genre boundaries and blurred distinctions in the way information, ideas and stories are communicated.
What formats are we looking for?
- Interactive workshops (30 mins – 1 hour)
- Presentations (30 mins)
- Roundtable Sessions (10 minutes)